Hi. I’m new to dealing with utility bills and am a bit confused about my gas payments if anyone could help me understand them :) There is a comms issue with our meters which an engineer is coming to look at in October, by the way, in case that would have any effect at all.

Our supply was turned off due to said comms issue a few weeks ago, so I spoke with utilita over the phone and got our supply back on, I topped up our payg electric meter to get it out of e-credit and that’s all fine. But I set up a direct debit on the phone for our gas, for the first payment to come out on September 9th. Meanwhile our gas went into e-credit. I was confused as the app says our gas is prepayment and we have the details needed to top-up, but didn’t want to touch it because I was waiting for the direct debit to come out. It didn’t come out though so I topped up the meter £10 on the 10th to take it out of e-credit. Then today the direct debit came out. I know the direct debit contributes towards our bill, but am confused why our meter has credit and can be topped up because it will go into e-credit if I continue to use gas and I will feel the need to top-up again - but then what’s the point of the direct debit if I’m basically just using it as a payg meter and the meter itself says payg?