Hi at the moment I am living in a Massionet (been here nearly 5 years). I'm a tenant with the local council and the neighbour below me owns his own home (and has done for over 20 years). The communal hallway / stairwell is lit by 2 ceiling lights and there is a outside light as well. For some bizarre reason the 3 lights are connected to my fusebox/ meter, so therefore I am responsible for the cost of running them. They can be left on anywhere between 4 hours to 24 hours, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. My neighbour and his wife can be quite a volatile people especially after drinking copious amounts of alcohol ( which they do on a daily basis). They are in and out of the property all times of the day and night, leaving the fore mentioned lights on constantly. Even if I'm aware of energy being wasted and turn them off they will purposely go out of their way to turn them back on, basically just to try and annoy me. It doesn't annoy me but after not receiving a single penny towards any bill's not even being offered any form of a contribution, they've told me that they leave the 'communal' hall lights on as they have no form of lighting in their 'private' hallway (in their flat) so keep those on so they are able to see ??? I recently was advised a 60w bulb costs approximately 2.5p -3p an hour to run....so based on that calculation.
3 x 60w bulbs (3 bulbs x 0.025p an hour = 0.075p per hour x 4 hours (if they pay for 4 hours I'll cover the other 20 hours a day) x 7 days x 52 weeks x 5 years = £546 !!!
Firstly is my calculation correct and secondly although he is aware I am paying for all communal electricity ( he smirks and makes constant remarks about it only costing pennies a week to run). I would like to be able to confidently explain to him about the cost whilst requesting that he turns them off when they are not required. Final point in the 20 years plus he has resided here he has never once paid ANYTHING towards the cost of lighting the hallway and the outside. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.