Help & Support
Have a question? Post here and a community member will be happy to help you. You can also leave suggestions/feedback for our Community Manager to investigate too!
Forum banner picture
    Level 1
    Hi there,

I have an old prepayment meter (not smart) that seems to be charging me way more than the energy I’m using for the tariff I’m on.

This morning I took a photo of the meter - put the water on for 2 hrs for a bath and a shower - and then took a photo again once it was turned off. Total spent - £3.31. Only gas used was the boiler to heat water.

The meter said 1.15m3 used. So I multiplied that by 1.02264 (as per gov guidelines) and then multiplied that by 40.100 (which is what the CV is according to the meter) and then divided that total by 3.6 to get the total kW. Giving me approx 13kW usage give or take.

My new tariff from 1 April says no standing charge, first 2kw are 25.8p and remaining kW are 7.3p.

So I should have paid something like £1.33 surely. Not £3.31 which is an insane amount for two hours usage.

I’ve been on hold for 90 minutes but no response. Has anyone had something similar or know what’s going on?

Thanks
    Last edited by Shanshu; 19-04-22 at 16:51. Reason: Spelling mistakes
  • 3 Replies

Community Manager
    Hi @Shansu,

If you are unable to reach customer services on the phone you can try the live chat here and there will be less of a wait for assistance.

Cat
    Level 1
    Hi - I’ve tried Live Chat multiple times and keep getting the same message that no live advisors are available.

I’ve also spoken on Twitter messages to someone who said that because my meter could not be accessed remotely there was nothing that could be done. Which appears to imply that Utilita will continue to overcharge me in breach of the agreed Terms and Conditions. I’m currently going through the Complaints channel in the hope of a more civilised resolution.
    Community Manager
    Hi @shansu,

I am sorry you are having such difficulty. If the call centre is very busy all agents will be taking calls. That is of course not what you want to hear and I believe going down the complaints route will get the issue resolved. The complaints team are great at what they do and have all the resources and training needed to help you.

All the best
    Cat
Reply to Thread