Help & Support
Have a question? Post here and a community member will be happy to help you. You can also leave suggestions/feedback for our Community Manager to investigate too!
Forum banner picture
    Level 1
    I moved to my new house on 30th March. Then, the house did not have any credit on Gas meter, So I lived here for 1-2 days without heating. My agency / owner did not give me any cards or keys for the gas or electricity meter. I am very new in this country. So i also didnt have any idea how to pay for my electricity and gas. Anyways,I talked to a cashier in a shop and she gave me a SSE gas card. I topped up 5 pounds just to check whether it will run on my meter or not. Yes, the meter read my card and 3 pounds just vanished because of the last tenant owed 3 pounds. I had no idea. ANyways finally I got gas after 2 days. Then the gas ran for one more day and it was zero balance again. Then I topped up 40 pounds on that card now I do have gas finally.
    Today on 6th march I got a Letter ( mail) from Utilita and went through the letters and instructions. So now I know who is the provider. So now I have only 5 questions.

1. As I was not given any card/ keys from the owner of my property or my agency, Do I need a gas card and electricity keys/card?

2. If I need the card and keys, do I need to pay for them? ( As i didnt lose them. I just didnt get them from anyone)

3. Can I just top up without any cards /keys ? ( What is digital E- cards? and How to pay using digital E- cards?)

4. Can I top up without needing to go to any top up points/ shops ? ( can I use my bank debit card and pay online for prepayments? )

5. As i have got a SSE gas card, have I already switched to some other company? or Am i still with Utilita? ( i want to stay with Utilita)

6. Will the Smart energy tariff will be automatically applied to me? Or do I need to apply for it separately?

7. I called the welcome team and wasted 30 mins or more. But none picked up my call. So i am totally lost here.
  • 1 Reply

Community Manager
    Hi @Muqtadir

To answer your questions, if you have smart meters you do not need any cards to top up. You can top up on the Myutilita app, on the top up phoneline or online as a guest. If you do not have smart meters then you will require a top up card and key with which you can take to any Paypoint shop to top up and then enter the key and card into the meters. There will be no charge for the key and card if you are new to your property.

To best answer any other questions and help you get set up correctly I would suggest contacting customer services. An agent will be able to locate your property to advise if the supply is live with us and also the type of meters in the property and advise how you can top up.

If you would like to use our live chat please click here and you will find live chat highlighted in blue. If you would prefer to call then please call 0330 333 7442 Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm and Sat 8am to 5pm and an agent will be happy to assist.

I hope this helps, all the best
    Cat
Reply to Thread