Off Topic
The place for you to share and discuss your interests and hobbies. Fancy discussing tech, music, games, TV and more? It's all here.
Forum banner picture
  • No tags
View Tag Cloud
    Community Manager
    Name:  allison-christine-3GNesMmbHBo-unsplash.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  3.61 MB

I think that we’d all agree the world is a somewhat a stressful place at times, with the recent world pandemic – more than ever… With life somewhat starting to retreat back to normal – with the busy 9-5, never ending ‘on-mode’ - I for one would quite like to retreat to my bed and make my way through the entire contents of Netflix until summer returns.

So how do I let go of the stress and chill the eff out? Meditation, mindfulness, tactical breathing, diet, and exercise? All great ways, but for me at least, I do not see myself contorting like a pretzel, breathing in for seven and out for eight (how is that even possible by the way?) and I am most definitely not someone that goes ommm or hmmmm in the middle of a yoga class!

Instead of trying to change the outcome why don’t we just change the approach? Why are we waiting for the stress to kick in, and then deal with it? If we were to approach life in a different way, hopefully the outcome is happiness!

This is where the Danish come in with their many concepts for living well. They are a nation that live for the moment, live minimalist, only work 37-hour weeks, and have been ranked in the top six happiest countries consistently.

So, here are a few of the best Danish concepts for living well that are super easy, that you can start practicing today!

Name:  julian-hochgesang-SDxDQXixgfU-unsplash.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  3.94 MB

Hygge

The concept of Hygge, or Hoo ga as it is pronounced, is the Danish way to live well. There is no direct translation in English, but the closest meaning is cosy, wellness, comfortable, content. It may be better described as a feeling or a mood. My cosy place is being rolled up in a soft duvet, in a tent, with a loved one and a cup of tea, while the sound of rain on the tent soothes me to sleep.

To adopt the Hygge way:

- Lighting is key. Every Danish household has candles and or ambient lighting in the form of lamps, tea lights or string lights. It adds warmth and cosiness to any room, not to mention a lovely smell if you have scented candles.(Be sure to use LED or solar bulbs where possible to save energy and £££, plus candles are a great way alternative to lighting, plus it cuts your energy use!)

- Blankets are great for that warmth but also the feeling of safety. A weighted blanket for instance has been known to reduce feelings of anxiety and used by many a sufferer. (Again, piling the blankets on and popping a pair of fuzzy socks on will help keep you from reaching to turn the thermostat on!)

- Bringing the outside in! Looking at the colour green, and having indoor plants is extremely calming, and one of my favourite ways to unwind. Place a few plants in your favourite areas of your home and then lie back and enjoy watching them blossom!

Name:  dan-gold-8u7sTapsroM-unsplash.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  1.52 MB

Lykke

Lykke is the Danish word for happiness, and since they are generally happy people, we should pay attention. According to Danish concept connoisseur, and author of ‘The little book of Lykke’, Meik Wiking, Lykke is about buying experiences not things, and he believes anything that encourages personal growth is priceless.

The 6 key factors to Lykke are:

- Togetherness – Feeling a sense of community, spending time with friends and having a feeling of belonging. Start a book club, community garden or arrange one night every so often with friends to catch up.

- Money – This one is about balance. When we have enough to meet our basic needs, we don’t worry so much, but then there is the need to buy possessions that we get bored of very quickly. The personal growth factor comes in when money is spent on holidays, taking classes, learning a hobby, family days out as opposed to a takeaway or a gadget. Anything that creates a memory is priceless!

- Health – This is not as much of a concern in Denmark as they walk and cycle everywhere. Making sure to exercise every day is important, not only for physical health, but for mental health. Try taking a 30 minute fast paced walk during lunch or after work to elevate your heart rate slightly. (Or you could even start cycling to work if it’s a realistic distance, which will save you on £££ and totally eliminate the need to worry about the petrol crisis, plus help towards being more environmentally friendly!)

- Freedom – With a more target driven working environment, long working hours, and having a life whilst still earning enough to survive are difficult. The Danes only work 37-hour weeks and have more flexibility to work from home or start and finish at their convenience. If you can afford to drop any hours, approach your manager, what harm can it do to ask?

- Trust – This is not an issue in Denmark. Leave your bike outside the shop while you pop in and it will still be there when you return. Meik Wiking advises to learn to be more empathetic and with this we learn to give people the benefit of the doubt.

- Kindness – The world needs to be a kinder place and doing one little thing for a friend or stranger has a knock-on effect. Offer someone a tissue if they sneeze, hold a door open, or if you are feeling generous, buy the person behind you their drink next time you are getting a coffee.

Name:  jen-p-_EiuAQtkyKo-unsplash.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  1.68 MB

Lagom

Lagom simply means, just the right amount. You can apply this concept to any aspect of your lives, from trivial things such as the amount of milk in your coffee, to bigger decisions like how many hours a week you work. Finding that equilibrium may take time to perfect, but good will come your way. You can decide how finicky about this you want to be. There are no set rules, and that is what is great about Lagom. You may not want to waste time measuring the exact amount of milk for your coffee but spend time on the more impactful aspects, such as a work-life balance, or splitting time between family and friends. The beauty is there is no right or wrong way to practice Lagom.
    Here are a few simple ways to encompass Lagom in your life -

- Note in your diary when you have spare time and allocate a few of these hours to seeing family, friends, time for yourself and hobbies.

- Take time to have a clear out of some possessions. If you have enough of certain items get rid of any extras, you could keep hold of them for years thinking just in case and not need them.

- Have only the staple items in your wardrobe. By doing this you do not have the stress of finding something to wear every day and free up more time to relax and enjoy life. (Also, not being part of the fast fashion movement and buying pre-owned and loved clothing makes a massive difference in helping the environment!)

- Think about reducing your working hours if you can afford to lose some money. It is important to feel that work and life are not the same thing, and if you feel work is taking over consider speaking to your manager about reducing your hours.

So, why not practice these concepts today and see how you get on! This weekend is the perfect time to start - let me know how you get on, I would love to know! I also found these tips below that I loved and thought you would too! 😍

Name:  2FD5B1DD-E2CE-4E2D-BA1B-0F238740E002.jpeg
Views: 902
Size:  144.3 KB
    Last edited by Cat; 15-10-21 at 10:18.
  • 2 Replies

Head of Community
    @Cat - This is such a great piece - and most importantly, something that everyone can practice and incorporate into their lives.

I was lucky enough to visit Copenhagen a few years ago before the pandemic - it is such a gorgeous city, and something they do so well there, and I was really taken with it. Each day between 5pm and 6pm (after everyones busy days) the hotel I was staying in would have Hygee, offering every guest a free drink and having the rule of no mobile phones, internet, and simply to just enjoy 'being' and spending time with one another, talking, like we did before everyone was glued to screens. I must say it was such a simple way of indulging - going back to basics.

Even now, since seeing Hygee in action - I practice it was fond memories. One indulgent glass of red wine, burning a new candle, reading a book with a cuppa. The list goes on! The last image which shows low cost ways to indulge is also great! 👍
    Head of Community
    My plans this weekend after reading this 🤣

via GIPHY

Reply to Thread