Help & Support
Have a question? Post here and a community member will be happy to help you. You can also leave suggestions/feedback for our Community Manager to investigate too!
Forum banner picture
  • No tags
View Tag Cloud
    Level 1
    I only switched my Gas and Electric on Friday 17th Septemeber to my amazement I got a email with a tarriff increase from 1st October before I even swittched?. I am really not happy I feel this has been mis sold. I have called the customer service number and I am on hold constantly. I am a bit frustrated as they were really helpfull when the rep came.
  • 1 Reply

Community Manager
    Hi @Ravinreidy,

The price increase letter is due to the increase of price cap, the cap sets a limit what suppliers charge for their standard variable - or 'default' - tariffs. The rate is set by Ofgem, the energy regulator, and is reviewed twice a year. A new cap rate of £1,277 was announced in August 2021 and will be implemented on October 1st due to the rising costs of gas and electricity wholesale, more information on this can be found here Ofgem Pricecap.

Additionally, since Ofgem announced the price cap for this year, the wholesale price of gas and electricity has continued to rise even more and has created the current energy crisis, a lot of suppliers are currently not taking on new customers as can be see on Compare the Market, where they have stopped the comparison tool for energy due to the fact that there are currently no good switch offers available.

Kind Regards
    Dean
    Last edited by Rebecca; 21-09-21 at 11:33.
Reply to Thread